
CQ Communications, Inc.
Friday, June 21, 2013
"Active or Extremely Active" Hurricane Season Forecast

New England Hams Raise Funds for Marathon Bombing Victims
Attendees at the NEAR-Fest hamfest in New Hampshire in early May were asked to make donations to "One Fund Boston" to help victims of the Boston Marathon bombing in April. The $1000 in donations were matched by the NEAR-Fest organization, which added another $1500 on its own for a total donation of $3500.
For more on ham radio's
long-running role in the Boston Marathon, as well as the aftermath of the bombing, see July CQ's cover story as well as the "Public Service" column in the August edition.
Hams Request Changes to Tweak FCC Rules

A second petition, by the Toledo Mobile Radio Association in Ohio,
requests expanding 10-meter privileges for Technicians to include the repeater
subband at 29.52-29.7 MHz. At press time, the FCC has not taken any action on
this request. See the "Zero Bias" editorial in the August issue of CQ for a
discussion of this petition.
Heathkit Saga Update

They say they definitely plan to bring totally new kits to market, and "likely" revivals of older kits as well. About themselves, they will only say that they are all kit-builders and ham radio operators, and feel that revealing their identities at this time will distract them from the task of getting the company off the ground.
The August issue of CQ will carry an article by Editor Rich Moseson, W2VU, on what is and isn't known (as of press time) about the company and its new owners.
Ratcliffe Named FCC's Acting Enforcement Chief
![]() | |
Acting FCC Enforcement Bureau Chief Bob Ratcliffe (FCC Photo) |
Senate hearings were planned for June on Wheeler's nomination.
"Newsline" reports that House Communications and Technology
Subcommittee Chairman Greg Walden (R-OR), W7EQI, says he has some reservations
about Wheeler based on his time as a telecom industry lobbyist. However, only
the Senate gets to vote on confirming presidential nominees.
Ham Radio to be Featured in New Harrison Ford Film

Stay tuned for an article on the
ham radio part of the story by Bob Schenck, N2OO, in the September issue of CQ.
Staff Shakeups at ARRL
Separately, Rick Lindquist, WW1ME (formerly N1RL), is once again editor
of the ARRL Letter. He replaces Khrystyne Keane, K1SFA, who
resigned. In the course of that transition, publication of the ARRL Letter was suspended for two weeks in June.
Logbook of the World Milestone and Software Update

Last month, we reported that a new version of Logbook's "Trusted
QSL" software (v. 1.l4) had been released. Just after we went to press, we
were informed that several bugs had been found in the program, requiring a
delay in its release. Version 1.14.1 corrects those problems and is now
available for downloading.
FCC Shorts

The cost of requesting or renewing a vanity call sign is likely to go
up by 20 cents when the new federal fiscal year begins on September 1. In a
Notice of Proposed Rule Making issued in May, the Commission proposed raising
the current $15 fee for a ten-year license term to $15.20.
The FCC has ordered a Nebraska-based online retailer to stop
advertising, marketing and selling modified CB sets and non-certified RF
amplifiers for the 12- and 10-meter amateur bands. The ARRL Letter says ePowerAmps of Omaha was given 30 days to confirm compliance with
the order or face possible fines or equipment seizure.
ARRL: FCC's Proposal for 5 GHz Band is "Premature"
According to the League's filing, Congress ordered the FCC in 2012 to authorize U-NII use from 5.35-5.47 GHz, but was under no obligation to include the additional band segment in its proceeding, ET Docket 13-49. The ARRL's comments called that portion of the FCC's proposal "premature," noting that amateurs have already had to deal with an "overlay" of Dedicated Short Range Communications systems used by vehicles and that time is needed for compatibility analysis before adding U-NII use to the mix.
Volunteer Examining Pioneer WX7P SK
![]() |
The cover of September 1980 CQ featured Wilse Morgan, then KL7CQ, using a hot-air balloon to lower a 20-meter monband beam onto his tower. |
He was also a noted DXer, contester and antenna designer, who twice appeared on the cover of CQ, in 1980 when he used a hot air balloon to install a large antenna, and again in 1984 when he used a helicopter to install yet another big beam. Morgan was inducted into the CQ Amateur Radio Hall of Fame in 2009.
Ham Among Victims of Santa Monica Shooting Spree
The first victim of John Zawahri's June 7 shooting rampage in the Los Angeles suburb of Santa Monica was the shooter's father, Samir Zawahri, who was N6KXL, according to "Newsline." The younger Zawahri reportedly also killed his brother, Christopher, before carjacking his way to Santa Monica College, where he shot to death four more people before either killing himself or being killed by police. According to various news reports, John Zawahri was distraught over his parents' bitter divorce and had previously had mental health problems. Police still do not know his motive for the shooting spree at the college.
Hamvention® Attendance Essentially Unchanged

Over-the-Horizon Radar on the Rise
We reported in the June issue on the reappearance of over-the-horizon radar (dubbed a "woodpecker" back in the '80s due to its rat-a-tat sound) on the amateur bands. Now it seems that their numbers are increasing. The International Amateur Radio Union's Region 1 (Europe and Africa) Monitoring System is reporting the appearance of an OTH radar signal on 20 meters that appears to be originating from England, one of nearly a dozen such signals that have recently been heard on 20, as well as 30 more on 10 meters and 65 OTH radar systems on the 15-meter band. The full report is available online at <tinyurl.com/hamband-intruder-alert>.
![]() | |
A US Navy Over-the-Horizon radar installation. None of the OTH radar signals on the ham bands appear to be originating in the United States. (Naval Research Laboratory photo) |
Tesla Laboratory Purchased for Museum
Nikola Tesla's Wardenclyffe laboratory on New York's Long Island has been saved from possible demolition, thanks primarily to "crowdfunding" organized by cartoonist Matthew Inman. According to "Newsline," Inman's fundraising efforts generated nearly $1.4 million in donations, and the non-profit Tesla Science Center organization negotiated the purchase price down from $1.6 million to $850,000. The balance of the money raised will go toward cleanup (there's a lot of asbestos on the site) and beginning renovations needed to turn the long-derelict laboratory building into an interactive museum and science center.
CQ published an article on
the lab and efforts to save it in February, 2012 ("TeslaGRAM: A
Multinational Special Event for a Nearly-Forgotten Laboratory").
IARU Starts Preparations Now for WRC-15

Among them, according to "Newsline," are several proposals for increasing frequency allocations for mobile and satellite services which might eat away at some amateur allocations, as well as a proposal to give amateur radio a new secondary allocation worldwide between 5.25 and 5.45 MHz.
This is the 60-meter band, already authorized for secondary amateur use in several countries, including the United States. But these allocations have been made by each country and the proposed agenda item would include amateur radio as a permitted use worldwide.
Hawaiian Cellphone Law Protects Mobile Hamming

Wednesday, June 12, 2013
Heathkit Revival Update

(See initial story below - posted May 24 - on the possible return of Heathkit to the amateur marketplace.)
Monday, June 3, 2013
At Least One Ham Killed in Oklahoma Tornado; Three More Survive Close Call
![]() |
Weather researcher Tim Samaras, WJ0G (SK) (From Tim's QRZ.com page) |
According to reports on The Weather Channel, Tim was a self-trained engineer who designed and built virtually all of his weather monitoring equipment. He is credited with developing unique tools to measure barometric pressure at the base of a tornado. It was unclear as this was written whether either Paul Samaras or Carl Young were licensed amateurs.

[Updated 6/3/13 to show that 3 members of Weather Channel crew are hams, and to correct/update Massey's call sign]]
Friday, May 24, 2013
A Michigan Mystery: Is Heathkit Back?
The legendary Heathkit name might once again be appearing on
new electronics kits, including amateur radio gear. Or maybe not. The possible
second reincarnation of Heathkit is shrouded in secrecy at the moment, so it's difficult
to get any hard facts.
Here's what we do know: After the original Heath
company got out of the kit business and eventually shut down completely, new
owners in 2011 announced its return to the kit market, along with plans in
introduce kits focused on computers and education (amateur radio equipment was
not part of the initial plan). Things did not work out as planned and the new
Heathkit declared bankruptcy and closed its doors last year without ever
producing a single kit.
As part of the bankruptcy proceedings, the Heathkit name,
logo, and rights to previous equipment designs were put up for auction. CQ Kit-Building
Editor Joe Eisenberg, K0NEB, reports that at last week's Dayton Hamvention®, DZ
Kits owner Brian Wood, W0DZ, told a kit-building forum that he had been an unsuccessful
bidder for the company's assets, but that he did not know who the winning
bidder was.
Around the same time, the Heathkit.com website came back
online, featuring a Mark Twain postage stamp and a famous Twain quote,
"The news of my death has been greatly exaggerated." Also appearing
on the website, although without a link from the home page, was an extensive
survey for potential customers, saying "Heathkit is back" and seeking
input on products that might be offered. The survey is at <http://heathkit.com/survey/index.php/278489?lang=en>.
Based on the content of the survey, it appears that the new
owners are focusing on the amateur radio market to get them started, and some
of the questions suggest that they may start out by re-introducing classic
Heathkit gear, either in its original form or with updated electronics inside
the classic chassis and case.
Here's what we don't know: There is no indication of
who the new owners are or how to contact them. There is no "contact
us" link on the website. A "whois" search on the internet for
the registered owner of the heathkit.com domain name returns only the company
name and address (in St. Joseph, Michigan). And there is no record as yet of
any company with "Heath" or "Heathkit" in its name in the
Michigan Secretary of State's online corporation registry. We don't know how
soon the new owners intend to publicly announce their plans for the company, or
when - if ever - they will introduce any new (or new-old) products.
We encourage the new owners to reach out to the amateur
radio media and ask anyone reading this who knows them to strongly suggest that
they contact us so we can help them spread the word and to get facts rather
than speculation out to the amateur community.
When and if we do have additional information to report, we
will post updates here in the CQ Newsroom and/or in the pages of CQ.
-- By Rich Moseson, W2VU, Editor, CQ
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)