(Hicksville, NY - Sept. 4, 2012) -- Bob Cox, K3EST, has retired as Director of the CQ World Wide DX Contest and as CQ's Director of Contesting, it was announced today by CQ Publisher Dick Ross, K2MGA. Cox has been at the helm of the CQWW for 35 years, guiding the contest through massive changes in technology - both on and off the air - and CQWW's growth to become the world's most popular amateur radio contest.
Cox first took the reins of the CQWW
in January, 1977, along with Larry Brockman, WA6EPQ (now N6AR), who worked with
Bob until March, 1994. In making his announcement to members of the CQ World
Wide Contest Committee, Bob said, "35 years encompasses almost the entire
history of modern contesting. All the way from paper logs to today's need for
instant answers. During that time a framework was created that made the CQWW the
innovator of almost everything used in contesting today including log checking."
He added, "With that in mind…I am tired and wish to move on with other
Ross said the association had been long and fruitful,
telling Cox "it has been an honor to have worked with you for these many
decades. Your contributions to the art and sport of amateur radio contesting
have been enormous. "
Cox's retirement is effective immediately. A
successor has not yet been named.